Producer – Resident Individual
Any applicant for a Resident Individual producer license must:
- Be at least eighteen years of age;
- Not have committed any act that is a ground for a licensure sanction set forth in Â§431:9A-112
- Pay the applicable fee
- Pass the applicable examination for each line of authority for which the applicant has applied.
NOTE:Â Any convicted felony engaged in the business of insurance or who is about to engage in the business of insurance in this State shall request the commissioner’s written consent to engage in the business of insurance as required in Â§431:2-201.3;
To submit a complete application for a Resident Individual producer license the applicant must include:
- One original application for Individual Insurance License (Form HPL).Â The application can be found at:Â http://hawaii.gov/dcca/areas/ins/producers/instructions_insurance_license/licensing_producer_resident_individual
- A passing score report (original) from the State of Hawaii Licensing Exam.
- Promissor is the state licensing exam provider.Â They can be contacted at:
- Toll Free Number 1-800-274-2608;
- www.promissor.com.Â You can also visit their site to view the Candidate Handbook, which includes a Content Outline of the Hawaii Exams.
- A Letter of Clearance (original), for any other state other than Hawaii if applicant previously held any resident insurance license for that state
- Information for the Variable Annuities line of authority:
- Required to hold a Life Insurance License;
- Submit evidence of registration with NASD;
- All Applicable license fees.Â The fee schedule can be found at http://hawaii.gov/dcca/areas/ins/producers/instructions_insurance_license/licensing_producer_resident_individual
- Checks should be made payable to DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE & CONSUMER AFFAIRS.
IMPORTANT: All of the items listed above must be submitted together as an application packet. Incomplete applications will be returned to you.
Appointments: The applicant is not required to submit an appointment at the time of application.Â An appointment must be in place to do business. The Notice of Appointment can be found at http://hawaii.gov/dcca/areas/ins/producers/instructions_insurance_license/licensing_producer_resident_individual
More information on the new Producer Licensing law, can be found in the Hawaii Revised Statutes: Â§431:9A
Applicants can view the statutes by visiting the Hawaii State Legislature website at www.capitol.hawaii.gov and clicking on “Status and Documents” to search and view the Hawaii Revised Statutes.
Licensees are reminded to secure a General Excise Tax License, as required under the tax laws for the State of Hawaii. Please contact the Hawaii Department of Taxation at (808) 587-4242 or call Toll Free at 1-800-222-3229, for more information.